http://www.quantummedia.com/projects/product-launches | Printed on: May 25, 2017
Project type: PRODUCT LAUNCHES
Launched a trade publisher’s new publication and web site aimed at hard-to-reach professionals
A leading specialty trade publisher hired a Quantum Media member to leverage her expertise with one professional audience in order to create a new magazine for a related, but different group. Our consultant led a team of company managers and several outside vendors to:
- Perform and write up original research in the field
- Create a circulation plan
- Build the circulation model, including traditional direct response mailings, subscription agent acquisition, and bulk acquisition through associations and organizations
- Write the business plan for a print and web publication and build the business model
- Hire key staff
- Find a software integration firm
- Research line extensions of the new publication as it was launching
The magazine reached more than half its long-term circulation goal in the first 90 days and continues to grow.
Structured and created an equity partnership between an international publishing company and a start-up publication
An international publishing company with a nationally famous science magazine engaged Quantum Media to investigate an equity investment between one of its U.S. properties and a start-up archaeology magazine. Working for the president of the U.S. property, our consultant completed the following:
- A market analysis on the archaeology field for investment purposes. This included a broad market overview, a review of competitors and trends, an estimated P&L of the key competitor, and a sensitivity analysis on the potential profitability of the start-up publication based on two key components: renewal rate and cost-per-subscription-order
- An editorial analysis of the key competitor and a plan for the editorial components of the start-up publication
- Ideas for circulation strategies, printing contracts, list brokers, newsstand distribution contracts and more
- A full-blown three-year business plan with detailed assumptions across all areas of magazine publishing - circulation, advertising, operations, distribution.
The Quantum Media consultant also devised a plan that was key to the partnership’s success. The plan called for acquiring subscriptions through house ads in the established magazine in return for licensing this magazine’s name and for granting equity in proportion to the “house ad dollars” spent. This was a low-cost, low-risk way for the two firms to partner. Using this method, the corporation so far owns 15% of the new archaeology magazine. The start-up magazine continues to grow and is on the road to profitability.
Created plan for and helped implement an expansion strategy to take a local publication national
Several Quantum members worked together to create a business plan for a client looking to expand distribution nationally. They supplied competitive analyses, ran circulation models, advised on business development for the new publication as well as the existing business, created a marketing strategy and positioning for the new title. After approval and budgets for this relaunch, they helped the client to implement the plan: working with the client on new marketing, testing, analyzing results, finding and converting to outside fulfillment services, modifying the plan as situations and results changed over time.
The new publication and distribution system was successfully launched, and Quantum members continue to advise the company in its new phase of expansion.
Structured and implemented the US launch for a Canadian media start-up in out-of-home television
A very promising new advertising medium, based in Toronto, engaged a Quantum Member as the first outside Director on its Board and as a consultant to advise on entering the U.S. market. Our consultant worked directly with the CEO on the business strategy for the American market and helped hire staff in the U.S. (COO, Head of Ad Sales). The consultant also formed a Media Advisory Board, comprised of prominent ad agency executives and advertisers, to advise the CEO, Board and staff on out-of-home advertising issues and to represent the company to prospective investors.
In order to gain distribution for the company, the consultant also led a feasibility study for a major U.S. real estate property manager to assess other locations for this medium throughout his buildings. As a result of its successful launch, the company was able to structure merger terms with its competitor on favorable terms. The consultant continues to be engaged by the acquirer.